LIFE'S PRETTY STRAIGHT WITHOUT CC'S

Welcome all you Chronic's

Wednesday, March 3

Interview with Konsumterra

912154639_b6ea89faf4

SIMPLE SIX

1. Besides art & music what else drives you?
trying to make a crust from art - im a big fan of history, comics, SF, books, magazines

2. Favourite character from the Muppets?
kermit and that guy who sold letters from his trench coat in alleyways on sesame st in the 70s

3. Window or isle?
window

4. 3 favourite colours to use?
pink black and white

5. First thing on your mind most mornings?
not safe to say really

6. Favourite artist to collaborate with?
Bunkwaa and i do the most together - SMC, Vars, Tom666 are other notable faves

3075760974_8cb8de2c2b_m

2517947709_98c7f94c3a_m


DOWN to BUSINESS

• What style of art do you create & where did it start for you?
I started postering anonymous political agit pop and hoaxes in the late 80s - stickers began about 97 inspired by Sync, Cadet, Cloak&Dagga - Crash my faux corporation started 99 and stenciling and collage paste-up in 01. I like a variety of styles and most of my peers in Adelaide would dabble in a variety of street art forms. I like to make up new idenities and campaigns in different styles to keep it fresh.


• Who was your main inspiration at the start?
Sync, Cadet, Cloak&Dagga - my brother used to destroy ciggarette ads in the adelaide hills. Karen Eliot and the Blind Authority Manipulation Corporation was a big influence too (see BAMCO and Neoism). I was a fan of Jenny Holzer, Kieth Harring and and Matt Groenig's life is hell comics. Punk poster art too. I worked with Michal Dutkiewicz for years too - best comic and pinup artist in Australia ever.

• What are you trying to say or create with your art?
Alot of my CRASH work is a parody of corporate greed while the collage is more anonymous and uses détournement to reinterperate ad hype. Other stuff like my characters are just fun for kids and me and has been more developed in Sydbney. More and more I enjoy getting ordinary people to do art as an activity not just oggle it.


• Where have you taken your art or had it put up?
Ive had stuff projected on walls in Berlin, taught at the MCA, lectured for unis and paint companies, lots of stuff has been published and i have a healthy web presance. Ive had so many exhibits i dont really keep track. I have a few murals round Newtown and have had lots of work in night clubs.


• How have you used your art to change your lifestyle?
Well i earn a living princaply from street art and from design - i get a few travel ops occasionaly too and came to stay in Sydney. I have too many friends I know only by their secret IDs - its a bit like being a super hero or a freemason.I spent too many years partying for free and im a bit over being cool now.


• How does the community benefit from your art?
Most of my painted work is by request. I still like to think paste and stickers make the streets more interesting. I Like it when people like your stuff to preserve your work. I have had people say my political stuff has changed peoples minds. Ive taught thousands to stencil and make alot of effort to educate the public to appreciate not decimate street art. Clearly it is the visual style of the future and people who like white cubes should get over it.

3616368668_e61775a4cb

• With the boom of urban art & the many classifications such as street art, graffiti, bombers. . How do you view these styles & what would you like to say about them?

I like variety and respect skill. Some places rifts between graff artists and bombers matter, other places are more open minded. I probably find I am more interested in people who keep working on the street not just do it for one summer then wear the label on their sleeve the rest of their comercial art career. Even some galleries who say they are street art actually exhibit very little authentic street art. But having fun is still the most important thing. I have done bombing in the past - especialy when i was in pain all the time and it was pretty shit and nothing to boast about. Most of my bomber friends dislike the art world, street art or even proffresional graff or even character art. Street art is just political like it or lump it.

2823407508_c2d09213fd_m

Konsumterra talking generally about community art issues :
Most of my community work is pretty fun but there is alot of red tape dealing with councils and events.Thankfully they do all their own publicity and funding. I do street art tours occasionaly for festivals in Adelaide and Sydney. My own work probably sufferes a bit when i get too busy. I do like dealing with supposably reject kids which normal education gives up on - it's amazing that listening to young people and not just abusing them and their culture can have positive results. Ive probably curated over a thousand first time artists - many who never would have thought of doing so. I also like to travel to regional areas with their own street art stories. Meeting lots of new artists keeps me up to date with new tricks of the trade and keeps my own work fresh.

3874167500_85ca95d2f0_m

No comments:

Post a Comment